Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Craft Tutorial: Easter/Springtime Candy Holders


My four-year-old daughter and I love to craft. We have yearly subscriptions to craft projects that come in the mail, we frequent Pinterest for stuff to do on rainy days, and my craft supply inventory would make many jealous! 

This week we decided to make a Easter/Spring themed craft based on a link that my mom had sent me to: Kiki's Korner: A is For Activities. It was obviously our inspiration but with no directions, we just went by the picture.

I would say that altogether it was roughly a 45 minute project, if that. It would really depend on how many you plan on making, which would alter the amount of prep as well.

I didn’t have a number in mind of how many we were going to make. It was just something we were going to fill our time with while the eggs were cooking so we could dye them. I wanted to use items we already had on hand, so first I went around to our three bathrooms and gathered toilet paper rolls. Thank goodness we are all awful about actually placing those things in the trash. At this point my daughter did ask to help so I told her to go find one in her bathroom. I pop in a few minutes later to find her unraveling her current roll to GET to the tube. Oops…

Then I went through my various craft stuff to have everything ready for when we began crafting. I gathered strips of scrapbook paper to use as the bodies, I cut out arms and wings from construction paper and cut out feet. 


Most of it is using your imagination, and doesn’t have to be anything specific. For the body, just make sure your paper is wide and long enough to cover a toilet paper roll. For the feet I used foam board I cut the base wide to cover the end of a toilet paper tube, with protruding feet. I also constructed bunny ears our of foam board. 


The first step was gluing the strip of paper to the toilet paper tube. We used regular glue sticks. My daughter was pretty good about this part, I just helped ensure the edges were secure.

Next we added the facial features. She wanted to add a nose made from foam board, and then draw the rest on with marker. We glued the ears onto the inside of the tube, sticking out, on the opposite side we drew the face. Then we balled up some ribbon to use as a bushy bunny tail. This would have worked well with pompoms as well!

The last step was glueing on the feet. I’ll admit I didn’t think this through very well. The edges of a toilet paper roll aren’t much to glue to. It may have worked out better with this paper, but I had made the feet from thick heavy foam board. We ended up having to glue it on with super glue. Seems a bit extreme for a kids craft, but we were out of options!  

My daughter was beyond happy with the creation. These could be made into a number of animals easily! All you need is a big imagination and any different materials.  

We made a bunny, a chicky and a frog!

The next morning Hailey found them nestled in her Easter basket filled with candy! We even added a pink tutu to the chicky as a surprise.




Shared with:
~ All Things Thursday, Fabulously Frugal Thursday, Home & Garden Thursday, Home Sweet Home, HomeAcre Hop, It's a PartyShare Your Cup Thursday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, Thursday Favorite Things, Time Travel Thursday.
~ Anything Goes, Be Inspired, BFF Open House, Crafting Along, Fabulously Creative Friday, Feathered Nest Friday, Flaunt It Friday, Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Frugal Friday, Frugal Homeschool Friday Kitchen Fun & Crafty Friday, LHITS Linky, Old Fashioned Friday Party Bunch Pin Junkie Friday Pin Party, Pinworthy ProjectsShow and Tell Friday, Thrifty Things Friday, Weekend Re-Treat.
~ Get Schooled Saturday, Link Party Palooza, No Rules Weekend, Say G'Day Saturday, Serenity Saturday, Show & Tell Saturday, Show Stopper Saturday, Simply Natural Saturday, Super Saturday, Weekend Wind-Down.             

      

17 comments:

  1. Cute crafts....these have me wishing my step daughter was still young enough to enjoy stuff like this.....and she was totally the child who would have unrolled her TP like yours did to get to the roll to make the craft! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! I love crafts that recycle things you would normally throw away. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very cute! Pinned them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute and easy to do! I love crafts that kids can do that are short and sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Thanks for sharing again at the#WWDParty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sweet idea! Thanks for sharing!
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute and fun for the kids! Thank you for sharing at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!
    Blessings, Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun activity for the kids! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is too precious for words! I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's just adorable, and her sweet face? Oh my! Thanks for sharing this at the Dishing it & Digging It Link up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute craft for the little ones. Thank you Jackie for sharing this post at the #WednesdayAIMLinkParty. I shared it on social media.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so cute! My girls would love doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It always fun to see crafts that kids can actually do! These are so fun, and the best part is that most people probably have all the supplies on hand. Pinned! Thanks for sharing at My Busy Beehives #beeparty this week. Hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are both super stars Jackie. I love the look on her face before you started. It says the soooo much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cute idea. My grands would love them! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun craft - easy to make and so useful too! And what a great way to recycle. Thank you for sharing these fun candy holders with us at Hearth and Soul.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are so cute! Pinned and shared.

    ReplyDelete