Saturday, August 2, 2014

Unboxing: Homegrown Collective August GREENBOX



Have you ever been so excited about something that you just can't wait to tell everyone about it?  That's where I found myself yesterday, when my Homegrown Collective August GREENBOX arrived. I've had my eye on Homegrown Collective for a few months now, but this is the first box I recieved and when the mail carrier arrived with it, I gave a whoop loud enough to startle our dog.

I'll be reviewing this month's GREENBOX after I've had some time to work with it (and we'll be doing a giveaway later, too!), but for right now, I just want to share with you the fun of looking at all the goodies hiding inside.

The August theme is "DIY Summer "Essential" Home Detox" - just perfect as we enter late summer and have, for the most part, needed to keep our house closed up with the air conditioner on.

The first thing I noticed when I opened  the box was how intelligently it was packaged - the necessary instructions are attached to the lid inside a document holder, each piece sized so that the titles for all of them are easy to see.  Full instructions for each project are contain on a single sheet of paper, which makes it easy  to pull just the one that's needed without losing the rest of them.

The August Homegrown Collective Box contains three projects, each designed to freshen the air in various ways.  All the necessary equipment and ingredients are included in the box, with some of them pulling multiple duty across each project.


The first project is making a DIY Air Freshener, and the box includes a reusable metal spray bottle and four vials of essential oils:  Sweet Mandarin, Cedarwood, Lemongrass, and Cinnamon.  

While I have a small collection of essential oils already, this includes a couple I don't have, and of course the instructions and the spray bottle will be reusable after I've tried their method. This to me is the chief benefit of the Homegrown Collective Box - it allows people to try a new project without the expense of large quantities of new equipment.


The second project is one I am very excited to try - a DIY reed infuser, which allows the release of air freshening scents to do their job subtly over a longer period of time.  The same essential oils are available to use in this one as well.  Additionally, the box includes a pretty narrow necked glass bottle to act as the infuser, and a pack of infuser reeds.


The last, and most complex project included is making DIY scented candles.  I have played a little bit with candlemaking, but I used a great big chunk of beeswax that took forever to melt, and it intimidated me a good bit about trying again.  The Homegrown Collective GREENBOX includes soy pellet wax, which should melt much more easily, and I can't wait to give it a try!  

This one also uses the 4 essential oils that come with the box, and also includes a mason jar in which to melt the pellets, a frosted glass candle jar and three tealight containers, and four wicks.


Lastly, the box also includes a few tongue depressors and a couple of disposable eye droppers, to handle mundane tasks in all of  the projects.

This box is so well organized and complete, that I expect to have no problem doing a project on the fly without a whole lot of additional preparation - I am so looking forward to working with it, and sharing the results with you!

If you haven't tried a Homegrown Collective Box and want to give it a try,our readers can get a 25% discount off the regular $39 a month price, plus shipping for their first box.  If you'd like to order, use the code CHEW25 at check out.

I'll be back in a couple weeks to share with you how these projects worked out for me!  I hope you're looking forward to it as much as I am!



Shared with:
~ Creative Style Link Up, DIY Sunday Showcase.
~ In & Out of the KitchenMaking Your Home Sing Monday, Mod Mix Monday, Mommy Monday, Monday Funday, Mostly Homemade Monday, Thank Goodness It's Monday.    
~ Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Be Inspired, Good Tips Tuesday, Handmade Tuesday, Healthy Tuesday, Hip Homeschool Hop, Turn It Up Tuesday.
~ Cast Party Wednesday, Milk & Cuddles, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Wake Up WednesdayWhat's It Wednesday, Whimsy Wednesday, Wonderfully Creative Wednesday, Work It Wednesday, Works For Me Wednesday, Your Whims Wednesday.
~ Fabulously Frugal Thursdays, Home & Garden Thursday, It's A Party, Share Your Cup Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, Thursday Favorite Things.
~ Anything Goes, Fabulous Finds, Freedom Fridays, Fridays Unfolded, Handmade Hangout, Let's Get Real Friday, Party Bunch, Shabbilicious Friday, Weekend Re-Treat.                    





2 comments:

  1. Lynda, I love this so much. I really want to get more into essential oils. I'm starting the 2nd trimester now though so I've been waiting until the end. I probably won't use any oils until labor since using them during pregnancy has it's cautions. But after that, I hope I will be able to get more into it. This is a great DIY starter kit for the natural, more healthy living I try to learn more about. Thanks for sharing this with us at the Creative Style Linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique box Lynda. Lots of wonderful stuff! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete