Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Recipe: Sausage Potato Soup with Homemade Bread Bowls


Winter for me is about turning inward, settling down, resting and gathering. It also seems to be about comfort food.

One of my favorite comfort foods is a hearty bowl of soup with fresh bread. Recently, I had to undergo an elimination diet to see if I could isolate a food trigger causing some health problems. It is with emphatic joy that I declare gluten is NOT one of those triggers for me! If I had to give up bread permanently, it would be very hard indeed. That being said, if you are gluten intolerant, you’ll probably just want to skip this one.

Earlier in the month, I shared my two week meal plan with you. You may recall that one of the meals was a Sausage Potato Soup with homemade bread. I decided to go a little crazy and turn that into homemade bread BOWLS!

The recipe I use most frequently for bread is this one: Kitchenaid French Bread from the Homemade Homestead. This recipe makes enough dough for two loaves. I split the dough in half and popped one ball in the freezer to be used later for another recipe.

With the half I kept out, I divided the dough into three portions. Two large balls and one small ball for my daughter. Feel free to adjust the size of your portions to fit your appetite (these ended up being a bit too big for me to eat).

I placed them on an oiled cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal and popped them in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour. Once they have puffed up to about double the size, I brush them with an egg wash (one egg white and one tbsp cold water, beaten together) and popped them in a 400° oven for about 15 minutes. They take less time to cook than a full loaf due to the size.

Wait until just before you serve to carefully cut a round out of the top.

Use your fingers to dig out the bread from the inside. Keep this to make homemade bread crumbs.

I’ll admit, I love bread so much that I actually kept my bread chunks that I’d excavated from my bowl and nibbled them with my soup.

If you want to keep the soup from absorbing into the bread, you can coat the inside of the bowl lightly with softened butter.


Now for the soup!

Sausage Potato Soup

Ingredients:
1 16oz package of Kielbasa sausage, sliced into ¼ rounds
4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½ inch cubes
1 can of Great Northern beans
4 cups of chicken stock (I used homemade, low sodium stock)
1 tsp dried thyme
3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup heavy cream or milk if you want a lighter soup
The sharpest white cheddar you can find, shredded for topping.

Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the potatoes, sausage and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes, just to get a bit of caramelization on the sausage. Add the chicken stock, thyme, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to simmer and allow it to cook for about 30-40 minutes. The potatoes will be become very soft and start to turn the soup a milky color. Add the beans in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Add the cream just before serving.

Ladle the soup into the bowls and top with shredded cheddar. You can place this under a broiler to melt the cheese on top if you like. Serve immediately!



I hope you enjoy this recipe! Its been one of my families favorites for many years. If you give it a try, please comment and let me know how you liked it. Sharing is caring! Cheers!


We've been Featured!


Scrapality.com

Shared with:
~ Centerpiece Wednesday, Fluster's Creative Muster, From Dreams to Reality, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Inspiration Board, Moonlight & Mason Jars, Penny Pinching Party, Project Parade, Show + Tell, Wake Up Wednesday, Wednesday Roundup, What's It Wednesday, Whimsy Wednesday, Wicked Awesome Wednesday, Wine'd Wednesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Work It Wednesday, Works For Me Wednesday, Wow Me Wednesday, Wow Us Wednesday, Your Whims Wednesday.
~ Creative Ways Linky Party, Full Plate Thursday, Home & Garden Thursday, HomeAcre Hop, It's A Party, Share Your Cup Thursday, Showcase Your Talent Thursday, Thursday Favorite Things
~ BFF Open House, Brilliant Blog Posts, DIY Junkin Joe, Feathered Nest Fridays, Flaunt It Friday, Foodie Friday, Foodie Fridays & DIY, Foodie Friends Friday, Freedom Fridays, Friday Favorites, Fridays Unfolded, From the Farm Bloghop, Handmade Hangout, Home Sweet Home, Kitchen Fun & Crafty Friday, Let's Get Real Friday, Old Fashioned Friday, Pin Junkie Pin Party, Pin My Linky Party, Shabbilicious Friday, Show and Tell Friday, That Friday Blog Hop, Weekend Re-Treat
~ Creative Collection, Dare to Share, Link Party Palooza, My Favorite Things Saturday, No-Rules Weekend, Saturday ShareFest, Saturday Spotlight, Scraptastic Saturday, Show & Tell Saturday, Super Saturday, Weekend Potluck, Weekend Recipe Potluck, Weekend Wind Down.
~ DIY Inspired, DIY Showcase, Found & Foraged, Silver Pennies Sunday, Snickerdoodle Sunday, Sunday Brunch, Sunday Recipe Wrap UpSunday's Best, Think Pink
~ A Round Tuit, Amaze Me Monday, Art of Homemaking Monday, Busy Monday, Clever Chicks Blog Hop, Craftastic Monday, Frugal Crafty Home, Gathering Spot, Happiness is Homemade, Inspiration Monday, Inspire Me Monday, Mad Skills Monday, Masterpiece Monday, Meandering Monday, (mis)Adventures Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Mod Mix Monday, Mommy Monday, Monday's Pinterest Party Blog Hop, Mostly Homemade Monday, Motivation Monday, Much Ado About Monday, Mum-bo Monday, Munching Mondays, Real Food Recipe Roundup.
~ Anti-Procrastination Tuesday, Totally Talented Tuesday, Create ~ Link ~ Inspire, Good Tips Tuesday, Handmade Tuesdays, Hearth & Soul Hop, One Project At A Time, The Scoop, Share-It Link Party, Show & Share, Take-a-Look Tuesday, Tickle My Tastebuds, Tip Me Tuesday, TOO Cute Tuesday, Tuesdays At Our Home, Tuesdays With A Twist, Turn It Up Tuesday, Tutorial Tuesday, Two Cup Tuesday, You're Gonna Love It Tuesday.                                                                  
        

28 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this!! It has everything I love! We have homemade soups every week during our cold winters in Michigan. We are finishing up chicken noodle right now but yours is next on the soup menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy this soup Jillybarb! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Perfect for a winter weekend! Thanks for sharing with the Thursday Blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun! I have eaten soup in bread bowls at restaurants, now I can make one of my own :) Thanks for both recipes, I will look forward to trying the sausage and potato soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to try making bread bowls for soup. I pinned this to try later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
  6. This soup sounds so yummy Lauren! I have never tried making my own bread bowls. Yours look delicious! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been making soups all month...this one sounds delicious! And in a bread bowl...even better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bread bowls are an awesome touch to soup, but they're so filling. Sounds yummy. Thanks for the recipe and linking up to Scraptastic Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stopping by from Sunday's Best linkup. This sounds delicious and perfect for a cold winter day. I've always wanted to make bread bowls. I'm adding your post to Pinterest so I can reference later. Thanks for linking up at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lauren,
    I just love your Bread Bowls and the soup looks delicious! Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing your awesome talent with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Love Love! And Yum Yum Yum!! It sounds like a fabulous combo of flavors. Thanks so much for sharing at Weekend Potluck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good! I've pinned so I can give it a try.
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY.
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that looks fabulous!! Lots of work! Visiting from Mother 2 Mother - sunday's best link up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds good! Thanks for linking up with Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so good. I will have to add this to my recipes to try. Thanks for sharing over at the Snickerdoodle Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love those bread bowl soups but always thought you needed a "form" to make them. Thanks for sharing how you create the bowls. I will be trying this :)

    Thank you also for linking this up to the Art of Home-Making Mondays Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats! This scrumptious recipe(s) is being featured at this week's Weekend Potluck party. You really got our attention. =) Thanks much for sharing. And if you haven't made it over to share more of your deliciousness with us yet today, please stop by. And enjoy a great weekend. http://thebetterbaker.blogspot.com/2015/01/honey-sweetened-snack-mix-weekend.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Look at this soup. I'm all about comfort food and soups during the winter. Let's just take a minute to admire that HEAPING pile of cheese on top. Loveeee! Thank you so much for bringing this recipe to the Sunday's Recipe Wrap-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so embarrassed at that heaping pile of cheese. Can you tell I'm obviously not watching my calories? I enjoyed every bite! ;)

      Delete
  19. Darn you! I am so craving comfort food, but I'm trying to stick to low carb. So this will be on my bill of fare next month! Thanks so much for an awesome recipe! ~xxoo~

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just got hungry for soup at 11 pm thanks to you! LOL Definitely going to give this recipe a try! Thanks for sharing on the (mis)Adventures Mondays Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Delicious lovely soup and soup bowl. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just typed a big ol response asking you a question and I think it got deleted. Do you have any idea why some of my bowls are rising beautifully and some are splitting and not so pretty. :) Any help would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The area that your bread is rising may be too dry. You can try covering your rising dough with a damp cheese cloth or damp, clean dish cloth. I hope that helps! Let me know if that makes a difference.

      Delete
  23. Perfect for a cold night in! Looks so tasty. Have pinned also. Thank you for contributing to The Sunday Brunch Magazine, Great to see you, Kind Regards Eliza & Bel

    ReplyDelete
  24. It makes sense to stay home, save money, and enjoy better flavor with a restaurant-style home cooked meal like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Why couldn't Lauren give us the recipe for the bread bowl she makes ? I don't see it anywhere......

    ReplyDelete