Monday, August 8, 2016

Cucumber Salad


I don't know about you, but in the summertime, I much prefer to keep cooking minimal and simple, and put most of my effort into cold sides.  This summer has been so humid and hot, the very idea of adding more heat makes me feel limp.

One of my favorite ways to keep cool and enjoy summer's seasonal produce is to make and keep Cucumber Salad on hand.  It's easy, versatile, and you can put it together in the morning and have it ready whenever you are.

If you can put this together without nibbling as you go, you've got a stronger will than I do - but hey, it's cucumbers, so nibble away!

Cucumber Salad
Serves 4-6

2-3 large cucumbers, washed and sliced thinly
1 large white onion, peeled and sliced thinly
coarse kosher salt
1/3 to 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
2 cloves garlic, minced finely (optional)
2 T fresh herb or 2 tsp dried (or to taste) - dill, cilantro or mint
Pepper, to taste
splash of white wine vinegar or lemon juice



1. Thinly slice cucumbers and onion.  Either lay the slices out on paper towels, or put into a large bowl.  Sprinkle generously with kosher salt, mixing to coat all slices, and let rest for about an hour.  The salt will draw out excess moisture.  Drain thoroughly, squeezing gently to release any remaining juice, and return to bowl.

2. Make dressing: combine sour cream or yogurt (or a blend of each), garlic, herbs and pepper, and mix.  Add a splash of white wine vinegar or lemon juice, and taste - make adjustments until you like the consistency and flavor.  Don't add salt - remember the vegetables have already been well salted!

3. Fold dressing into the cucumber blend, coating each slice thoroughly.  Chill for at least an hour, up to overnight.

Variations:  Switch up the herbs depending on what you have.  Dill and lemon juice give this a taste similar to Greek Tsatziki, while cilantro and mint will taste more like Indian Raita.

The type of onion will also make a difference - try red onion for color and a crisp bright taste, or Vidalia onions if you prefer your onion taste to be on the sweeter, milder side.

If desired, add a small amount of sugar to the dressing - don't overdo, but taste as you go.

If cucumbers tend to make you burp, try cutting them longwise, and scooping out the inner core of seeds with a spoon before slicing - for many people, avoiding the seeds will make them more digestible.





35 comments:

  1. I have 2 cucumber salads that I make in the summer. In fact, I just took one to our family beach vacation! Adding this to the list. Can't beat it on a hot summer day. Thanks for sharing with #overthemoon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love cucumber salads! So yummy! This one looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so refreshing and yummy! :)

    Blessings,
    Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Lynda - this looks amazing and I want to try some now - but I am traveling so it will have to wait until this weekend - I love cucumbers and onions in vinegar and water - but I like the salad dressing and other goodies you added - I can't wait to try it - thanks so much - found you at #WayWow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tasty! I'm lucky to have a garden full of dill and cucumbers right now! 😀
    Thanks!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. My neighbor just dropped off a big bag of cucumbers yesterday. I've been trying to figure out what to do with them since I hate pickles. This looks like it would be a great way to use them. :) #ShineBlogHop

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, this looks and sounds so great! I love dill too - one of my favourite herbs.

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

    Wishing you a lovely evening.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a bumper crop of cucumbers this year so I am going to try this. I am tired of my usual recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love cucumber salad and your recipe looks delicious. So nice when the cucumber is nice and fresh and crispy.

    Kathleen
    Bloggers Pit Stop

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just pinned this. Looks ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love cucumber salad! Thanks for reminding me that I need to make it again. ;) Stopping by from Simply Natural Saturdays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so refreshing! Dropping in from SITs link up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love garden cucumbers and make a tomato and cucumber salad. This would be a nice change. Pinning. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so good! Thanks for sharing on the What’s for Dinner link up and don’t forget to leave a comment at the party – Next week’s features that also leave a comment get pinned and tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lydna,
    What a tasty and refreshing cucumber salad. I love the idea of putting the yogurt and or the sour cream in. Thanks for sharing on Real Food Fridays. Pinned & tweeted!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks amazing and I am pinning. I love these easy side dishes and enjoyed visiting your lovely blog and would love it if you would link up this great recipe at a link party I am co-hosting. Hope to see you there. http://diy180site.blogspot.com/2016/08/dishing-it-and-digging-it-link-party-109.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a great cucumber salad this time of year. I would like to invite you to Family Joy Blog Link Up Party. Sunday-Wednesday. Check us out http://thinking-outside-the-pot.com/?p=2826

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Cucumber Salad looks delicious, I love a great fresh summer salad. Hope you are having a fantastic day and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds perfect for a picnic or a BBQ! Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cucumber salad is a favorite summertime snack for me... I love your version!! Yum!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday!! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooo top tip about cutting out the seeds there! I do find cucumbers make me bloated so I will give that a go. This salad looks super fresh - perfect for summer! #FridayFrivolity

    ReplyDelete
  22. We love cucumber salad. We either make it like this, with sour cream, or we do it in a vinegar sweetened sauce. It's a great way to use cucumbers fresh out of the garden, and we all enjoy it. After the cucumbers have marinated I love adding a few of them to the top of a grilled hamburger. Really delish! I've never tried subbing Greek yogurt for the sour cream, now you've given me a new variation to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We love cucumber salad. We either make it like this, with sour cream, or we do it in a vinegar sweetened sauce. It's a great way to use cucumbers fresh out of the garden, and we all enjoy it. After the cucumbers have marinated I love adding a few of them to the top of a grilled hamburger. Really delish! I've never tried subbing Greek yogurt for the sour cream, now you've given me a new variation to try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a yummy salad. Lynda do you realize these are the same exact ingredients for the greek Tzataiki sauce they put on the gyros. Minus the onions. It is one of my favorites and now I can easily see it as a salad. Pinning for sure and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks so light and fresh for summer, can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing with Simply Natural Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured this week at Full Plate Thursday. Enjoy your new Red Plate and have a great weekend.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your cucumber salad looks so yummy! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with us at Funtastic Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my gosh, this looks delicious, and better yet, it is something I can eat on the Trim Healthy Mama plan! Going to have to give this a try really really soon. Esp because we were just given a bunch of cucumbers. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing on Throwback Thursday Blog-Style. Glad to have you joining in.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your recipe looks yummy, Last week,i tried similar recipe. https://99salad.blogspot.com/2020/05/creamy-cucumber-salad-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. yummy recipe hi all please guide how to grow cucumbers at home garden.

    ReplyDelete
  31. If you’re a guy looking for the greatest Instagram vip bio for girls and boys, please carry on. Because there are several Instagram bios in this post, you should read it all the way to the end.
    Instagram Vip Bios

    ReplyDelete